Saturday, April 6, 2013

Already

"Mirror, Mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?" or so says a Disney Queen and so we, as young women, say as we stare into the critiquing glass, hoping that maybe this time I'll be just a little prettier, thinner, or more acceptable than before.  Will the one staring back ever match that flawless plastic cover model?  I am disgusted to realize that I have fallen terribly short...again.  My cheekbones will never quite be high enough, waist small enough, and the "Perfection" powder failed to cover like it promised.  How many young women have experienced this moment, only to shut off the lights to ever truly feeling beautiful.

But I question, why does the grocery store aisle model get to define the beauty plumb line?  Why are we mesmerized by a woman who only points out our flaws?  And I would even venture to wonder if this is all a part of the enemy's plan to blind women from their true identity.  If I am consumed by what I am not and never measuring up, then how can I walk in the fullness of who I was created to be?  Cause maybe, just maybe, we've looked to the wrong source all along to define who we are.  Psalm 139:13-17 says, "For you formed my inward parts; you covered me in my mother's womb.  I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.  Marvelous are your works and that my soul knows very well.  My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret, and skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.  Your eyes saw my substance, yet being unformed.  And in your book they were all written, the days fashioned for me, when yet there were none of them.  How precious to me are your thoughts, Oh God.  How great is the sum of them."

So there you were on the Potter's Wheel...waiting.  and then He, the Creator, walked in, and sitting down next to you, He began to dream.  With His hands He fashioned, carefully picking out your eye color, personality and weaving together every intricate aspect that would make you, you.  The writer of this passage described that day using words like "wonderfully," "skillfully," and "marvelous".  You were never intended to be a carbon copy of an imitation woman.  So when the last stroke was made, He placed His brush down, stepped back and spoke, "Perfect...don't change a thing."

How it must break God's heart as He watches His young women working so hard to undo and change everything He tried to perfect.  With every alteration, we dim, losing more of who we were intended to be.  He wants to make you come alive.  But ladies, you will never know who you are until you learn to go to the One who created you, until you realized you were defined on the day you were created.  Remember what He said...He said you were already perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment